So what really is spot reduction?
Spot reduction is a way that people say you can lose fat just around your waist or just around your stomach, or just in your arms, or just on the chest or whatever it may be, a singular spot in your body.
How did the myth come about and spread?
You might have noticed late night infomercials where they show you exercise equipment and talk about how you can do 5 minutes a day of this exercise and you’ll lose fat around your abdomen and you’ll have six pack abs and so on. You’ve seen this, you’ve heard a lot of these advertisements.
I believe that it all started with these companies coming up with the promotions. Basically because everyone wants to be fit and wants to have their six pack abs show out. It’s pretty much them catering to and targeting their advertising to people and using people’s desire for such quick and easy results to the advantage of marketers and advertisers.
But in the end, with all the research that I’ve done and through the fat loss that I’ve gone through, unfortunately, or fortunately, depending on which camp you’re on, spot reduction just does not happen. You can do as many sit-ups as you want. You can do whatever else you want. Fat loss happens throughout the body and it happens fairly uniformly. But in saying that, the fat around your stomach and your waist, your hips and your back are the last to go. Fat loss starts from the extremities which means, your arms, your legs and then moves towards the centre where the most stubborn fat is.
So why is it a myth?
It’s just a marketing thing where it’s been made to look like you can achieve such results. But unfortunately, fat loss occurs throughout your body. As I said earlier, it has to come from, it’s pretty much happens all around the whole body. You lose fat from your extremities going towards the centre of your body. This sort of expectation being set by marketers also means that it gives consumers high hopes, and then when they don’t lose fat easily, and in such short time periods, they give up or think that they’re never going to lose fat.
So what can you do instead? What is the real deal?
The real deal is having good nutrition. I personally believe that 80% to 90% of the fat loss success depends on good nutrition. The rest, 10% is exercise. But of the 80% to 90%, that’s nutrition, a huge percentage, I’d say probably 50 to 60 percentage of that depends on your mind set and the rest depends on your education on nutrition and knowing what exactly nourishes your body.
Why am I saying mind set?
Because, if your mind set is in the wrong place, regardless of how much will power and everything you try to put in, you’d struggle with fat loss. The first area that you’d have to work through and you should be looking at working at is your mind set and having a really positive outlook in working on your self-image. Once that’s done, you work on your nutrition and the last bit is exercise.
Basically, yes, spot reduction is a myth. It’s been proven by a lot of sources and in more than 10 years of me doing research on nutrition, fat loss, weight loss and exercise, I have found that also from personal experience that spot reduction just does not happen.
If you’re doing hundreds of sit ups a day, you’re probably building stronger abdominal muscles on the inside but unless the fat on the outside is burnt, you’re not going to be able to see those abs. You’re not going to be burning a lot of that fat by doing sit-ups rather, you’d be burning that fat off by eating nourishing food for your body so that your body actually naturally burns the excess fat off for energy.
Eat in such a way that your insulin secretion is kept low and do intense exercises like interval sprints, and lift heavy weights, 3 – 4 times a week for 30 – 45 minutes each time, and you’ll be on your way yo shed all that fat and actually see those abs show out.
If you would like the help and support of someone who has gone thought the journey and lost fat, take a look at our coaching program here.